Three deaths after Oceania ship fire

Three deaths after Oceania ship fire

Oceania Cruises confirmed last night that a crew member and two contractors died following an engine room fire on the ship Insignia in the Caribbean.

One member of crew remains in the hospital and is reported to be stable following the blaze which occurred while the ship was in St Lucia.

“The fire was contained to the engine room and extinguished. All guests are safe and have disembarked the vessel,” the luxury line said.

“Three crew members and two contractors who were working onboard were transferred to a local medical facility.

“We are deeply saddened to learn that two contractors and one crew member did not survive. We extend our deepest condolences to their families during this very difficult time.”

All 656 passengers are safe with charter flights arranged to fly them to Miami, as well as transfers and hotel accommodation until flights to their home cities can be organised today (Friday).

The 10-day cruise, which departed San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday and was due to arrive in Miami on December 17, has been cancelled.

It is not known if there were any Britons on board the vessel, which was refurbished earlier this year following a two-year charter to Hapag-Lloyd Cruises.

Insignia originally entered service in 1998 as one of a series of identical small ships built for the now defunct Renaissance Cruises.

Oceania said: “Our top priority is ensuring all 656 guests return home as quickly and comfortably as possible.

“All guests will receive a 100% refund, and a 50% credit towards a future Oceania Cruises voyage.

“Oceania Cruises president and chief operating officer Jason Montague, along with a team of guest and crew support and technical personnel, are in St Lucia.

“This team is leading the effort to ensure guests and crew are well cared for, as well as working with the ship’s team and authorities to assess the situation.”

More details will be made available as they become known, the line added.

Crew Member Dies in Life Boat Accident on the Coral Princess

A crew member on the Coral Princess was killed last Friday in a tragic accident involving a lifeboat while the cruise ship was in Colon, Panama.  The incident was first reported by Cruise Law News.

 

Two crew members were in a lifeboat doing maintenance work on the hull of the Coral Princess when a cable snapped dropping the boat into the water.  Both of the workers were sent to a local hospital for treatment but one of the men died from injuries.

Reports are stating that the cable snapped as the lifeboat was being raised back onboard the ship.

The crew member that passed away was Husnan Fauzan, a 10 year veteran who served as a SCP1 for Princess Cruises.  The other worker was Bosun Steven Bagshaw who is currently still in the hospital in stable condition.

Cruise Fever reached out to Princess Cruises and received the following statement:

“On October 24 two of our crew members were in one of the ship’s rescue boats doing some maintenance work on the hull of the Coral Princess.  When the boat was being raised back onboard the ship, one of the cables that raises and lowers the boat parted, and the boat dropped back into the water with our two crew members inside.

We immediately responded and discovered that these crew members had, unfortunately, sustained injuries which necessitated their transfer to a shoreside hospital for evaluation and treatment.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that we confirm that one of our crew members subsequently passed away from his injuries. This has devastated everyone across the entire Princess Cruises organization.

We are, and will continue to support his family during this difficult period.”

Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of Husnan Fauzan and the crew of the Coral Princess as they deal with this tragedy.

The Coral Princess is a 2,000 passenger cruise ship that has been in service since 2003. The ship was on a 12 night cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida that was sailing to the Southern Caribbean and Central America at the time of the incident.

– See more at: http://cruisefever.net/1101-crew-member-dies-in-life-boat-accident-on-the-coral-princess/#sthash.qDgLDNkx.dpuf

Crew Member Sacked For Posting Photos of Costa Fascinosa Damage

Crew Member Sacked For 

Posting Photos of 

Costa Fascinosa Damage

Crew MemberOver two weeks ago the Costa Fascinosa had a lot of onboard damage from bad weather that hit the ship. Many cruise sites reported on it and most got photos and a video from a crew members Facebook page who was working on the cruise ship at the time.

The ship heavily listed on one side and according to reports the captain announced for passengers to put on life jackets as he lost control of the ship. 90 mph winds were hitting the ship while it was sailing towards the Greek islands from Venice, Italy.

Well now according to the popular Cruise Law News site that is operated by maritime lawyer Jim Walker that crew member has now been sacked from Costa Cruises. Not just that but all the photos and the video he posted on his Facebook timeline have now been removed. The footage and photos showed smashed plates and spilled food all over the ships galley. The crew also seemed shocked at all the damage.

Costa Fascinosa

The crew member in question is Jimmy Hernandez and he was a pastry chef onboard the 114,500 ton Costa Fascinosa. It does now seem from his Facebook page that he is now home in the Philippines with his family and looking for new employment.

Below is the video footage that was posted to Facebook by Jimmy Hernandez, it has now been re-posted to YouTube by another crew member:

Video below of the damage caused.

 Video: Damage to Costa Fascinosa

Video: Damage to Costa Fascinosa

There is now also more video footage from YouTube that seems to have been filmed by another crew member working in the ships dining room. It shows dining room staff cleaning up all the smashed plates and glasses after the ship got hit by strong winds. One crew member even says in the video “We Survived”:

 Video: move coverage of the damage

Video: move coverage of the damage

The big question is, should the crew member have been sacked from posting on his Facebook timeline for the entire world and cruise sites like this to report it. Well as I’m the editor of Cruise Hive and did in fact work onboard Carnival ships for over 8 years it is surprising that Costa took this action. This is what happens in China when the government doesn’t want its citizens posting photos, videos and content that makes them look bad in any way.

Usually when a crew member is sacked they given an early morning wake up call by the ships security staff who then give the crew member around 30 mins to collect all belongings and pack. Security then escort them off the ship and to the airport. All fellow crew members will see whats happening and gossip about it throughout the voyage. Does this crew member in question really deserve this?